Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sam Vimes is travelling to Wisconsin



There's a Discworld convention in Wisconsin this week, and Sam Vimes is attending from east Tennessee--or at least, a doll representing him will be. Actually, there will probably be quite a few individuals representing Sam Vimes at this convention, but I am guessing this doll could be the smallest.

He's got a papier-mache head, like the Chris Baty doll, but he's dressed in quasi-medieval clothing and armour from the fictional Discworld. I tried something a little different with him, something I've never done before: I made his armour and a few other accoutrements from Cloud Clay, an air-drying modeling substance that resembles marshmallows more than anything else I've ever handled, before it dries. When that happens, it becomes firm, yet flexible and very light, like those sheets of coloured craft foam kids make things from in VBS. It doesn't stick to anything but itself, so I modeled Sam's helmet and armour directly on his head and body and they fit nicely. When I painted them with metallic-coloured acrylic craft paints, they look quite realistic, and my fingerprints and wavy edges just look like really, really battered armour...

2 comments:

Amaco said...

Barbara,

Thanks for using AMACO's Cloud Clay. This is definitely a new use and look for this product. I'd like to post this to our Facebook page.

Barbara Bell said...

Please feel free to post a link to my blog and/or the pictures of this doll on your Facebook page. I had a lot of fun playing with Cloud Clay and will definitely use it again for this purpose. Thanks for commenting.